Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Icon Analysis

When thinking about icons, there are many that come to mind. We have musicians, actors/actresses, cartoon characters just to name a few. Growing up, we had limited television channels because we lived way out in the country. The cable company would not come out that far because there weren’t enough houses per square mile and there were no satellite dishes. However, I was able to watch the Mickey Mouse cartoons, Charlie Angels and Happy Days.


I have always had a thing for the cute little mouse. I’m not sure why, maybe it was the way he felt about his one true love, Minnie and my hopes of always finding someone who loved me the same way. I like watching the old cartoons now because it makes me feel like a kid again. Another show I watched was “Happy Days.” I always got home from school just as it was coming on. The character, the Fonz, was the so called rebel on the show, but never meant any harm. Other characters on the show considered him “cool” maybe because he rode a motorcycle and he could always get a girl by the snap of his fingers. Then came the series Charlie Angels. This show consisted of three women who could solve any crime and win any and all fights they got into. One of the characters was played by Farrah Fawcett. She paved the way for the “feathered” hairstyle and bright white teeth. She quit after one season but went on to pursue other acting options. One of the things she is most remembered by is a poster of her in a red swim suit.

Things have changed over the years. I was able to watch a Mickey Mouse cartoon not too long ago and, to tell the truth, it just wasn’t the same as when I was a child. I was a little disappointed. Every so often, if you are lucky, you can catch Happy Days on TV Land. Yes, I will admit that I am guilty of doing so. These shows are still as good today as they were years ago. Sadly, Farrah has recently passed away from cancer but her poster will live on.





1 comment:

  1. I like your choice of icons and your analysis. I can remember growing up watching Mickey Mouse and I think that little mouse is more popular today than he was when I was a child. When you think of popular culture, Mickey Mouse ranks right up there as one of the most recognizable and time sustaining icons. To me, the test of time, is what defines an icon. Again, nice work!

    ReplyDelete