Sunday, July 19, 2009

Journal Article Analysis

For the Love of Joe: The Language of Starbucks

Coffee…hmmm. What do you think of when you think of coffee? The aroma? The rich, smooth taste? How do you like your coffee? I’ve got to have it first thing in the morning. I don’t like it black. I’ve got to have a packet of Splenda and a shot of flavored creamer. Vanilla Carmel is my favorite. I get upset and cranky when I don’t have it. Does that mean I am addicted to caffeine? Probably, but if that’s my only vise, then so be it. I want my coffee.

There are many different kinds of coffees. Some are Taster’s Choice, Maxwell House, Folgers, Starbucks, and Carribeau Coffee just to name a few. I will admit that I am picky about the coffee I drink. Some of the brands mentioned above, I have tried but will not drink. To me, the flavor is just too bitter.

Starbucks. That’s all a person has to say. They are everywhere; on every corner almost like McDonald’s. A majority of people love going to Starbucks for their Cup of Joe. But, why is that? What makes Starbucks so special?

In the article For the Love of Joe: The Language of Starbucks, Constance Ruzich talks about how the coffee industry influences people. Coffee happens to be one of the most valuable trading commodities in the world. Starbucks opened its doors in 1971 and, at the beginning of 2004, had over 7,500 stores in 28 countries. They have drawn a lot of attention and have changed they way people view coffee even though it still lags behind Dunkin’ Donuts is specialty coffee.

Ruzich talks about the “language” Starbucks uses to draw people into their cafes. Even though Starbucks does little advertising, when you walk into a cafe, their in-store advertising is very creative. Their menu displays the different specialty drinks, different types of coffees and teas. Then they usually have some sort of sign displaying an employee favorite in an attempt to lure the customer to try it. There are usually advertising brochures strategically placed throughout the café. Another type of language would be the aromas from the coffee, the music being played, the color scheme in the cafes, and even the furniture. It all plays a part in making people feel relaxed and at ease while enjoying their coffee. We all know that when we are relaxed, everything seems much better. Is this just another advertising gimmick to get people back into the cafes?

Starbucks has tried to appeal to the language of love. On their website, they have put a questionnaire asking what characteristics and flavors a person likes in their coffee. It is much like an on-line dating service. In the store, the menu is much like a personal ad seeking love. All a person needs to do is pick their ideal mate. Starbucks want to make people feel like they belong to something special. They want to give a feeling that their cafes are like sanctuaries where people can go to relax between the stresses of work and home (Ruzich).

While Starbucks is continuing to expand nationally, they want to keep the image as a small friendly café. They do not want to be thought of as a commercial coffee house. They want their customers to feel a sense of belonging, be comfortable and relaxed. They like the image they have portrayed so far and feel this is one reason they have been able to grow successfully. However, will they be able to uphold their image of a small friendly café disappear if they continue to grow? We shall see how they hold up in the years to come.



Ruzich, Constance (2008). For the Love of Joe: The Language of Starbucks. The Journal of Popular Culture, 41(3), 428-442. Retrieved from the OhioLINK database.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vickie,

    I enjoyed your article analysis on coffee and "Starbucks language". I myself drink coffee all day long and am a fanatic. The presentation of the display and menu is welcoming in coffee shops and works. Ev everytime I walk in, I browse the list of specialty drinks and see what I may want to treat myself with. I do like the image of small cafe. It has a warmer and more relaxing feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie-

    I enjoyed reading your article for this assignment. Being a coffee lover myself, I decided to read your analysis and respond to your blog with my thoughts. First of all, I will say I do love Starbucks but you are right – they are everywhere! I live in a small suburb of Columbus, Ohio called Grove City. It’s not a huge town like Dublin or Westerville, but it’s not small. However, there are a total of FIVE Starbucks in our town! What is funny is that there is a Starbucks inside the local target, and then there is an actual Starbucks store by itself in the shopping center directly across the street. I’m not complaining, but it definitely seems like a little too much sometimes. The article is exactly right though. Starbucks has some type of aura about it that really does draw people to it. It’s very comfortable and always a calm relaxing atmosphere. It would be nice for the company to keep the image of a small friendly café, however I do feel it is going to be challenging to do so now that it seems as if we see a Starbucks on every street corner. Nice blog!

    Marlaina

    ReplyDelete