Saturday, June 27, 2009

Popular culture is lifestyle of a person or society. It is what makes a person who they are and how they react to situations around them. Popular culture can include anything from the way a person was raised, to where they live now, to music, art, books, and really just about anything. Is it important to keep up with what is popular today? That could be debatable because it could change as quickly as tomorrow.

However, having a good understanding in popular culture is important in the business world today and even more so in the future. The reason for having a good understanding would be the advancement in technology. Technology has come a long way in the last couple of decades and it keeps advancing very quickly. There are numerous ways of communicating these days without having to travel across state, country, or world. The internet allows companies to hold meetings or training sessions by having people log on to a certain website to view the presentation. Also, if a company has offices in different countries, it’s easy to transmit reports quickly via email with only a few clicks of a button. Another way of communicating would be through blogging. It’s easy to create a blog and post information for others to view and send comments. You can visit my blog at http://popularculturevstevens-peaseblogspot.com/.

I have heard many times that the 1980’s was the best decade. Maybe that’s because I grew up during that decade and the people I associate with did also. But, yes, I would have to say that the 80’s were great. We had the breakthrough of the ateri, pac man, good music, big hair and tight jeans, and, let’s not forget, the bomber jacket and aviator sun glasses. I’ll say it again…the 80’s were great! If I had to choose one pop culture artifact, I don’t think I would choose something that originated during that decade, but was very much popular during that time. There is a musician who got his solo start in the early 1970’s and to this day is still one of the best artists. I know not everybody agrees, but I believe that Rod Stewart is a true icon. Whenever a song is being played on the radio, you know instantly who it is. He has a distinctive, husky voice that is not like any other person’s. He’s been around for over thirty years and still going. There aren’t many musicians who have been going this long. I know he doesn’t do as much performing as he use to and one day will officially retire, but he will always be my favorite.

4 comments:

  1. Referencing blogging as popular culture hit home with me. It is something that I have heard many people speak of, but have only done through this class. It is a reminder of far far we can reach with technology and internet.

    The use of a music icon as your artifact is great. For me personally, if I think of Madonna, I think of my childhood years where my friends and I wore headbands with bows. I think most people could say they had a musical artist that they would hear that conjures memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vickie, I agree with Bridgette, other than this class, I have not blogged before. I have not put much thought into it, seemed like a “gossip, Perez Hilton” type of thing. But you got me thinking about how companies can us a blog to get information out quickly to employees or even personally, good way to keep grandparents, family, etc. up-to-date with information.

    Ah, the 80s. Again, I have to agree – the 80s was the best decade. I may be biased since my teenage years were in the 80s. Goes to show you how peoples taste influence how they think about something. After break dancing, big hair, and tight, tapped jeans, musically I think of Prince. To give credit, where credit is due, Rod does have a distinctive voice, which I believe is one of the reasons some of these artists can exist for decades with success.

    Great job and thanks for the memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the above. I've always considered blogging as a way to keep up with family and friends, never tried it though. I guess being new to this sort of thing, this is a good way to get my feet wet and to also go into the "popular culture" trend.
    Being a child of the 80's myself, I had to comment on Rod Stewart. I grew up listening to his music throughout my teenage years in the 80's and I can remember singing his music while watching MTV. Great memories :)

    ReplyDelete